Central Park hoodie


(Edited to add late-night rambling commentary. Enjoy.)

minimalist back completed

The color on this picture (on my screen, anyway) is a bit closer to the real KP Main Line “ink” color as I perceive it in real life. Maybe a little too green… I had this indirectly under a desk lamp. Imagine the real color as something between the color in this photo and the darker and more true-black color from the pictures I took in this earlier post.

CPH back completed

This CPH back has been done for a while, but as you can see it’s still all curled in its cables and stockinette. Upon handling the two large back pieces I think I should have probably done a CPH in Main Line/Cascade Sierra (have never actually used Sierra, but similar fiber content and occasionally cheaper by the yard?) and the Minimalist Cardigan in 220. I expected a little bit of extra stiffness in the Main Line and while I’m still feeling good about the Minimalist, I feel like my CPH is a little thin and will be even thinner once blocked. Still, I’m enjoying both projects (should just have confidence in first properly done swatches) and after all, if I have the patience and money (and I’ll at least have money if/when I do a yarn switch for second attempts at these cardigans, considering the very distant projected finish dates for both of these plus my resolution to not buy any more yarn until I’ve actually finished something) these are not at all bad pieces to own multiples of.

Left front for CPH is almost done; just cast on for Minimalist left front on Friday but am already several inches in due to huge weekend reading assignments. Progress!

CPH back - mirrored cables

So the back is almost done. Yeah! Just a few more inches around the armhole area left. I was a knitting idiot and didn’t swatch, but stretching this just enough to define the cables was enough to get roughly 16.5″… probably all I need.

By the way, this is a really horrible representation of the color. See the previous hoodie-related post for better coloring.

In anticipation for my parents’ birthdays (or Christmas, depending on how long all of this takes) I am making two mitered squares blankets out of Lion Brand Wool-Ease. Instead of using making the blankets “psychedelic”, though, I’m only using three (maybe four) colors for each; Dad’s is a sunflowerish theme (or a lion? Maybe that is more masculine) with LB Wool-Ease’s chestnut heather, avocado, and gold, and Mom’s theme is inspired by one of her necklaces that she likes: peacock (I hope this actually looks like turquoise), plus either oxford grey and camel or maybe blush heather or white thrown in there somehow. Depending on how far the Wool-Ease I have takes me, these might be full size cover-the-couch-or-bed deals or just lapghans. The squares knit up pretty quickly, so I don’t think I’ll have trouble doing two large-ish blankets; decreasing on every other row just makes me feel a strong sense of accomplishment somehow… :)

sunflower blanket squares

My only complaint is the chestnut heather color that I mistook for a deep brown when I first saw it. In the picture above it also looks kind of okay, but in reality it is almost a purplish-red-brown, especially next to the avocado; hopefully avocado-gold and chestnut heather-gold squares will not clash as much as these do. In the future, though, I’ll definitely go with chocolate brown instead.

I also started on the Central Park Hoodie (Interweave Knitscene fall 2006). My somewhat unreasonable fear of cables will be conquered! This is in a deep but wonderfully vivid green color of Cascade 220 superwash (an indulgence in yarn snobbery of sorts), further deepening my love for things I really cannot afford but luckily find on eBay.

central park hoodie back

Progress as of this morning. There are still awkward holes next to and behind the cable twists like all of the other cables I have tried to knit in the past, but I was pulling on stitches with a crochet hook and it might really just be a tension issue. Hopefully I can fix it while actually knitting, however, or else my patience will probably run out if I go up every row pulling on stitches to close holes. Other than that I’ve read the whole pattern and it doesn’t seem horrifying; the only other fear I have is the actual fit; more on this later.